Thursday, November 28, 2013

counting my blessings - thanksgiving day

number twenty-eight


i am thankful for a god who gives us freedom of choice.

a week or so ago my friend michelle sent me a link to this blog post, a lovely reminder to be thankful for the things we normally despise. the author dared her readers to "find the blessing within the curse." she went on to detail her own "unthankful thankful list" which included things like a messy house, financial discomfort, and too much laundry. my list would look fairly similar - thank you for dirty dishes because it means we have full bellies, thank you for the chore of making my bed because it means i had a warm place to sleep...and what about thank you i got stuck behind that infuriatingly slow car because it meant i didn't get caught speeding.

i've written my negative thoughts about my headaches. normally, they are not at all something for which i give thanks. but, today, i'm choosing to find the good in it.

"i place before you life and death, blessing and curse.
choose life so that you and your children will live."
(deuteronomy 30:19)



i am thankful for my migraine headaches. 

i am thankful for migraines because when i have one:
they make me long for heaven
they make me appreciative of my husband
they make me have a quiet and gentle spirit
they make me more patient with my children
they force me to lie down and really rest
they make me compassionate toward others who suffer similarly
they make me realize i'm not in control of things
they give me the opportunity to practice the art of letting go
they make me value my pain-free, energy-filled days so much more


it's thanksgiving day. i am at home, in a great deal of pain. my family is together, eating and lounging and being a family. it would be easy to be bothered by that and, yet, instead i find myself choosing to think...

i am so very blessed.


 


No comments: